Monday, December 5, 2011

Gingerbread Unit - Day 1

Read aloud books for this unit –
1. The Gingerbread Cowboy by Janet Squires. My kids really enjoyed this book and so did I. It’s a new addition to my gingerbread collection.
2. The Gingerbread Girl by Lisa Campbell Ernset – ADORABLE!!!! My kids (even my boys) loved it! It is so darling and there’s a female HERO in the story, so I was sold. Again, a new read aloud for me and for sure one I will use in upcoming years. I then remembered seeing The Gingerbread Girl character in a new book in a Scholastic Book Order. I called Books-A-Million and they confirmed that there is a new gingerbread book by Ernset. I had the store hold the book and I picked it up on the way home. It’s a hardcover and I usually NEVER buy hardcovers for obvious reasons but I fell in love with this character. It’s called “The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers” and it is truly a gem.
Gingerbread activity – Graphing Gingerbread bites
First, I gave the students 3 gingerbread cookies. They were asked to bite each cookie but in a different location (head, body, leg, arm). Then we graphed the different bites. In 3rd grade we worked on pictographs, bar graphs, tally, and frequency tables earlier in the year. Below is the link to the worksheet I used with the kids. Everything turned out great…it was a good spiral review in math and the students loved the mini snack. J

0 Bucket Fillers:

Post a Comment